Thursday, June 24, 2010

Not just another “your experiences so far blog”

I hope you don't mind Ben, I kind of want to keep this one short. Let’s see, looking at the whole internship so far through the lens of topics/reading we’ve had, I think we’re progressing from race to class. That’s a big step.

I remember on the first day I mentioned the issues of classism when we spoke to Tucker, but we never really came back to it. It kind of sat out there in limbo, or more correctly on the side---as a aide note. However, from Mr. Barksdale last week to the SEF publications we’re reading now, class has become a central lens.

I know I wrote in the thank you letter to Mr. Barksdale, “Race is no doubt a factor, but to neglect the role of class is to do a disservice an even greater number of children.” I believe that wholeheartedly. Moreover, looking at the problems faced with class and race in concert paints a clearer, more disheartening picture.



Class. I think my entire life I’ve been privileged for the simple fact that class didn’t come up, not because we’re wealthy, but because I’m military. Somehow, overseas it seems we’re all on the same playing field and the government covers almost everything. Even people who enlist right out high school with nothing to their name seem okay because Uncle Sam takes care in many ways. My parents didn’t have the same exact privilege. Both grew up poor…poor. When I tried to explain a shotgun house to my mom last week she said, “Yeah, I grew up in one.” Even when they left Louisiana they were only one step up—living pay check to pay check. By the time my full brother and I came along it was maybe two or three pay checks to pay checks, but I couldn’t tell. I was oblivious. When it comes to class status I went from 'oblivion' to 'it was never mentioned'; that's how I lived my life for 16 years. Then, the orders came…”We’re moving to South Carolina.”

Sadly coming back to the United States opened my eyes to some things that I thought nothing of living overseas, going to Amherst did the same. I never realized I go straight for the clearance racks or shop at stores on that side of the tracks. Who knew the cashier would take note and tell my mom, “You always buy the sale items.” Of course I thought about paying for college, but I never actually thought I would turn away a school because they couldn’t give me aid. This is all coming from what I consider to be a middle class background. Can you imagine what it would be coming from a low income or working class background?

Going to college out of state, to a small Liberal Arts college out-of-state, also makes you notice some things. You would think noticing car brands might be trivial, not for me. It was one of first things I noticed. In New England everyone and their mother drives Audis, BMWs (the SUV model is popular), a Benz, Range Rover, Infiniti or foreign brand like Toyota. Aha! So that’s how those companies stay afloat. I used to wonder because where I frequent in South Carolina I see Chevy, Ford, Crysler, some Jeep, Honda, and some Toyotas too. I was almost certain Audis were pretty much non-existent in the U.S.—WRONG.

Even with all this, I lived a privileged life: 1) because my parents sacrificed for me; they still do 2) When I was young my parents could provide all of the boring Hooked On Phonics, Arithmetic drills, and books I needed to keep my mind busy. They reinforced they cared with words and actions. My life may have turned out a lot different if my parents, even if they wanted to, couldn’t provide for my education. That’s what class does. It’s not about the clothes, or the cars, it’s about the opportunity.

How can I buy a Beamer when I can’t afford a book? How can I think about wearing Armani when I can’t articulate a complete sentence? That’s what class has been doing for...forever. It castes, it restricts, and in many instances it segregates people from people, and people from opportunity.

Race is no doubt a factor, but to neglect the role of class is to do a disservice to an even greater number…

-Radical.

P.S. Okay, so maybe this one wasn’t as short as I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment